What is a jigsaw?
A jigsaw is a power tool made up of an electric motor & a reciprocating saw blade. Normally a jigsaw with a bevel function on the soleplate allows cutting angles of, up to 45 degrees relative to the normal vertical stroke for cutting miter joints. This device works by attaching a blade accessory to the tool.
There are many types of blades in the market. Most of the jigsaws require a blade to be screwed into the tool, but Bosch went a little bit further & added the first tool-less blade change system which acknowledging a blade to be snapped into the tool. The T-Shank blades are the industry-standard professional interface that gives a longer life & a tighter fit from the blade to the tool.
Importance of Blade & its Tooth Design
Design of the tooth is important for the performance of a blade because tooth spacing, tooth shape & cutting angle are important in providing speed, cleanliness of cuts & optimal performance.
A side set & ground tooth is specially designed for clean & fast cuts in wood & plastics. Wavy set & milled teeth will cut most metals as well as aluminum & also plastics. On the other hand, a ground & taper ground tooth is for very precise & fine & clean cuts in wood.
In the blade material high-carbon steel is used which is called (HCS). This material has flexibility. Due to its flexibility, it is used for softer materials such as wood, laminated particleboard & plastics. In other types, high-speed steel is used which is called (HSS). It is a stronger metal that can cut all types of metals & aluminum.
Things To Remember Using Jigsaw
– Jigsaws can cut wood of varying thickness & density. When fitted with the correct blade, they can also even cut steel, fiberglass, & drywall. This makes this tool versatile & also makes it more valuable in your workshop.
– Changing blades of the jigsaw tool is easy, unplug the saw or remove the battery & find the dial where the blade connects to the saw. By turning the dial counter-clockwise releases the blade & allow you to insert a new one. And, when the dial is released it locks the blade in place, that’s it.
– Some people think that you need a fancy adjustable table saw to make bevel cuts. Most jigsaws can be angled up to 45 degrees for bevel cuts.
– Remember, look for a lever just above the shoe of the saw that slides back & forth. When released, the saw will tilt to one side & then pull the lever back to lock it in place.
– Cordless jigsaws are best to use because you can twist & turn the jigsaw to your heart’s content & cutting elaborate curves without being impeded by a dangling cord or worrying about accidentally cutting it.
– Out of the box, jigsaws are easy & straightforward to use regardless of your experience level. Just insert the blade, plug in the tool or pop in the battery if it’s cordless & you are ready to start cutting.
– With proper adult supervision, children of various ages can use a jigsaw safely.
The responses below are not provided, commissioned, reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any financial entity or advertiser. It is not the advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.